Tips for Home Eye Safety Month
Oct 2, 2015
With this month being Home Eye Safety Month, it’s the perfect time to review some safety tips and ensure you are practicing solid habits at home. Even the most basic of tasks could turn into a serious hazard if you aren’t careful! That holds true for household plumbing matters as well.
Did you know that 2.5 million eye injuries occur every year? Of those injuries, 50% happen in the home. While you may not have realized how dangerous your household could be, these statistics are very revealing. From cleaning the bathroom to mowing the lawn, there are countless tasks that could result in serious eye injuries. Even though these are everyday chores, make sure you take this October to start practicing eye safety.
Risk of DIY Plumbing
Most people call on a plumber for major leaks, serious drainage issues, or other concerning problems. But what about the seemingly small matters? In many cases, people will try to perform their own DIY plumbing tricks to get their pipes or drains cleared out and working like normal. While this may be ok for minor issues, it can often be more dangerous than you realize.
You could suffer an eye injury from a number of plumbing dangers like:
- Chemical splashes from cleaning or drain products
- Trip and fall hazards due to exposed pipes or slippery surfaces
- Infection in the eye due to bacteria exposure
- Projectiles flying into your eyes
Tips for Maintaining Optimal Eye Safety
If you do decide to slide under your sink to tighten up a few pipes instead of calling on a plumber, make sure you exercise eye safety!
Follow these tips to keep your vision clear:
- Wear eye protection when working with tools or near flying debris.
- Exercise caution when using cleaning chemicals of any kind.
- Make sure there are no tripping hazards around your home.
- Clean up any water / chemicals that leaked or splashed around you.
- Thoroughly wash your hands after you have finished the task.
Practicing eye safety at home doesn’t have to be difficult. This Home Eye Safety Month of October is a great opportunity for you to help yourself and your family begin to build safe household habits for the long run!
Want to start practicing eye safety today? Call on artplayroof.ru for your plumbing concerns.